Another set, and another round of character rankings! In the Convergence version, I’m going to take a little different tack – grouping the characters together, not only based on how good I think they’ll be but also based on what kind of Destiny character they are. Let’s see how it goes!
Group 1 – Sexy Support Characters
This group contains some really good support characters – they supply resources, focus, and useful abilities (some really strong ones as well), for a bargain cost. All of these characters could see play, but the top ones I especially expect to see Tier 1 play.
Watto – Resource generation is ultra important in Destiny, and Watto has that in spades. Three resource sides (including a 2 resource side), and a PA that can provide resources as well. He’ll be a Yoda level resource producer, though without the focus that Yoda provides. Expect to play against this guy.
Wat Tambor – Wat has a really sexy PA, which will no doubt add value whenever it is used. And if you can use it on the right support it is straight up broken. Add on to that a die with nothing but focus and resources, and you’ve basically got the support character dropped straight from heaven.
Satine Kryze – For 10 points you get 9 health, and 2 dice with resources and focus (and a nice little 2 indirect tacked on). That is a ton of value for that cost. Heck, I think I’d rather have her than L3, even at 11 points. And her ability is a nice little bonus as well.
General Grievous – His die is decent for his cost, and the PA is a solid addition as well. But what really gets him into this category is the discount on droids. Unlike Commander Cody, this discount applies to a number of different characters, opening up a whole suite of options with Grievous.
Lor San Tekka – Another character that gets a 2nd die for only two points, and it makes him another character with a high value to cost ratio. His die isn’t amazing, but it does provide you with a good amount of focus, and getting 10 health for only 11 points at 2 dice is pretty dang good. And I think his PA will surprise people with how good it is. Extra cards are always valuable.
Group 1B – Almost Sexy Support Characters
Jabba the Hut – His ability has some serious upside if you can pair it with powerful events, and never underestimate the power of a 2 resource side (even if it is a modifier). But costing more than any of the above characters bumps him down a bit.
Sly Moore – That special side is really cool and really good. I like her, just not quite as much as the other 12 point support characters villains got this set.
Category 2 – Padme
Padme – Padme gets a category all to herself, both due to her uniqueness and her position as the only middle aggro character that makes me real excited. Her ability to use her dice as focus or damage will be really strong, and allow her to see play in a variety of decks. Don’t be surprised to see her in 2 wide aggro decks and 3 wide support decks. She’s just that good.
Group 2 – High Upside Bigs
This group contains some 18+ point characters that I think could be real players in the meta. They all have something that gives them high upside, but none of them are sure things either.
Palpatine – I initially wasn’t super high on Palp, but the more I see him played the more I like him. His passive plus his PA means that things can get out of hand very quickly if you don’t burst him down early. A super aggro meta could spell trouble for Palp, but if most of the top decks give him time to get going… Mind Extraction is a big bummer, but maybe Protective Suit will help mitigate that? I’m not 100% convinced he’ll be Tier 1, but the upside is definitely there.
Phasma – The queen of board spamming, Phasma decks will be 5-dice terrors right out of the gate. Add to that a sweet interaction with Retribution and all of the great trooper support (Riot Shields baby!), and you have the makings of a potential juggernaut. Like Palp, she could end up being a high variance character, but the power is there.
Enfys Nest – If you take the resource costs off of her dice (which is kind of what her PA will end up doing), you have an 18 point character with a free 3 damage side and a 2 resource side. That is really strong. Sequencing will be tricky with Enfys, and she doesn’t work well with modifiers, but I have a hard time believing a character with those sides won’t see some competitive play.
Category 4 – Aggro Characters Ranked
In this category we’ve got a bunch of okay aggroish characters. They aren’t bad, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of them end up in good decks. But I don’t think any of these characters has tremendous upside or represents super high value for their cost. These are mostly B level characters.
- Ahoska Tano – Of all the characters in this category, I have the most hope for Ahsoka, because she really does have high value sides for her cost, and her ability mitigates the fact that her best sides are modifiers. Her low health and all those modifiers are a real concern though.
- Mace Windu – Three 2 sides and a decent ability puts Mace in a pretty good spot for 16 points. But there’s nothing really amazing here, and I’m not convinced he’s better than Luke3 (who is 1 point cheaper).
- Asajj Ventress – She’s got good health and lots of damage sides (though the pay side hurts a bit). Her ability has some upside, but I’m not convinced it will be game changing.
- Dengar – A damage a round is nothing to scoff at. But will bounties be good enough to get him over the hump?
- Maz Kenata – A decent die for 13 points, and a really interesting ability. I kind of like her, but I’m not sure where she fits exactly,
- K-2SO – Decent die, solid health, and a couple cool abilities. Lots of solid, nothing great.
- Kes Dameron – His die is just okay for 16 points, but the ability has some potential. Lots of trooper support in this set may help push him up a bit.
- Obi Wan Kenobi – He’s got big sides and a high value PA. But 11 health and a pay side have dampened my expectations for our third version of Obi Wan.
- Chewbacca – 13 health just sneaks him into this category, but his die is so bad that I have a hard time believing he’ll ever be Tier 1. Maybe there’s something there with Han3?
Group 4 – The Non-Uniques
Nothing amazing in this set as far as non-uniques go, but also a lot of solid characters. Every single one of them is 8 points (well, except FOST), all of them are playable, but none of them really stand out to me. Not much more to say about these characters.
Group 5 – Ezra Bridger
Complete trash. Which is a bummer, because his ability is actually really interesting.
There you have it, my character tiers for Convergence. In the end, I think this is a set that will be defined by a group of great support characters + some combination of Padme/Enfys/Palp/Phasma – whichever of those characters end up having the biggest impact in the meta game. I hope you’re as excited as I am to try out all these new characters!